Saturday, August 11, 2007

Un-be-frigging-lievable!

I am still speechless! Now THIS is what we came for! I should probably wait for a day or two before I write about today's ride cuz I still have no words for it. Amazing. The Cabot Trail is nothing short of amazing. Of course it helps that it was a cloudless 27 degree wind-free day.

If you ever get the chance to do this drive - DO IT! Even in a vehicle it is fantastic, but bikin' it ... well, I am still vibrating with excitement and I want to do it again tomorrow. But Barbee won't let us. I am trying to be sympathetic with her, but not being one who has ever been prone to motion sickness, I just can't imagine her side of the story.

Of course we are on this trip for all of us, so out of consideration we had to stop often to let her catch her breath and let her stomache settle. There are lots of "Look offs" along the way (I know, in BC we call 'em "Look Outs" but they are "offs" in Cape Breton) and tons of gift shops and restaurants so we had to stop at many. Hey, you do what you have to to make sure everyone is comfy. The gift shops had some of the obligatory dollar store items that tourist traps charge $14.95 for, but for the most part the shops along this route have unique items by artists, not just made-in-china-plastic-crap.

The Leather Works Shop was fantastic and they managed to keep a couple hundred of my dollars. Lots of pottery and handmade unique jewelry.

But the view. The view was a free gift from God. And holy moley it was the best. Everything is so green and lush and the ocean incredible. I can only imagine what it would be like in fall colours. From one look off we could watch the whales, even with the naked eye, but we were glad to have the binoculars along.

There were lots of little stories I could share in detail, but for now I'm just overwhelmed by the big picture so that's all you get. You can ask me about the cold chowder, the smashed elbow, the cartoon toilet paper, the French guy's bike that fell over, our visits with Mike and Keith .....
.... but for now, I leave you with this advice: do it counter clockwise. If you drive the Cabot Trail, take it counter clockwise. The sun will be with you all day, and the digital camera you hold in your right hand can hang over the bank for better pictures.





















































No comments: