Thursday, August 2, 2007

Save your cash for Tim Horton's.











We arrived at the Atlantic Ocean. On two wheels. It seems almost unreal after all this time of planning. But on the other hand it just seems right that we are here. Our campsite in Miramichi was right on the ocean. As I look out over the waves rolling in and smell the salt and kelp and other weird ocean scents, I can’t help but feel I belong here. I don’t like boating, I can’t swim and I’m afraid of water. But I feel like I belong on the ocean. What up with that?

It’s been two weeks since we left home. It feels like forever yet feels like “holy crap we have to be home in just over four weeks.”

Since arriving in New Brunswick it feels like we are on vacation. The pace has slowed dramatically and we don’t feel like we have any destination we have to arrive at by any specific time. Truthfully we have no idea where we will be the following night. So far we haven’t had any problems finding somewhere to park our butts at night without a reservation.

I am pleasantly surprised by New Brunswick. Well, I don’t know that I am “surprised” because I didn’t really know anything about it, so it is just all new to me. I suppose what surprises me is how French it is. Some towns (Miramichi included) the signage is in English first, then French, but everyone is very fluently bilingual – with French being the first thing they say.

Even in Quebec we haven’t had too much trouble communicating. This is totally due to Barbee saving our butts. The other 3 of us probably would have drove without stopping for 3 days just to get to Englishland had she not been with us to bail us out. Everywhere we go the French people don’t believe that she only knows very little basic French, because her accent is so accurate. Me, well I totally froze when someone started speaking French to me in a store. I know how to say “I only speak English.” And I know how to say “I do not speak French.” But I totally clammed up. She probably thought I was German or something.
Oh. And another thing Tim Horton’s doesn’t take debit. Huh?? Isn’t this 21st century Canada? Apparently not.

No comments: