Monday, August 27, 2007

Saskatchewan is the bug capital of Canada

Saturday morning Saskatchewan greeted us once again with blowing winds. After being cold for two days I dug out my heavier leather jacket, my bandana and wore my leather pants and an undershirt.

The last few days the weather hasn’t been terrible, but uncomfortable enough to remind us how blessed with great weather we have been for five and half weeks. Everywhere we went all summer people were telling us how cold or how wet it had been up until just before we arrived. We met other bikers who just came back from BC and said they hadn’t seen the sun for weeks. God is good to us.

The wind blasted us from Yorkton to Saskatoon. It would gust up under my helmet and make my head feel like it was gonna lift off. It was strange, and I found I had to hold my helmet down with my hand to prevent this weird feeling. And no, I couldn’t tighten the chin strap any more without choking myself.

We had to brace ourselves when passing oncoming big trucks. The cross wind this created sort of threw us all over. I know for a fact that 6 weeks ago this would have scared the crap out of me. Now, well now, I feel like an all-grown-up biker who has increased in faith, in God - and my husband. Truly I have learned to appreciate a lot of things about this man that I have taken for granted for years.

While it was windy, it did warm up to 27 degrees and it wasn’t long before I felt like I was in a sauna in all the gear I had loaded on in the morning. I made us stop for lunch after only 2 hours of riding so I could de-robe a little.

The winds died in the afternoon and we made it all the way to Lloydminster, so we’re only just over two hours from the Olive Garden. I mean Edmonton. I’m salivating already.





No comments: