Sunday, July 22, 2007

Mon français est terrible.










Saturday’s ride was about 700 km. We took a lesser traveled road from Nipagon up through Hearst and Kapuskasing and on towards northern Quebec. It was a beautiful ride on roads that were in pretty decent condition, a little bit winding and very little traffic.

We stopped for a picnic lunch and a glass of wine at Long Lac by a quiet little beach. We planned to have a bit of a rest (I was hoping to get in a 5 minute nap in the sun.) These weird little flies poked a million holes in us, injected our blood with an anti-coagulant, and left us to bleed to death. We didn’t stay long. As we loaded up to hit the road again I decided to put my jacket back on – I’d had enough sun for the day. Alb decided to remove his shirt to even up his tan a little, and I gooped him up with sunscreen.

A few miles down the road we hit some construction and a stretch of gravel. It was probably only 5 kilometers but it felt like 105. I was so glad I put my jacket on as a shield because I became a bulls eye for flying rocks. I was also glad for the glass of wine I had gulped. It helped me relax as the bike jittered its way through the gravel. It also helped me forget about the fact that Alb had also had a glass of wine. He was obviously unaffected by this and once again expertly maneuvered us through the construction and flying rocks. The combination of suntan lotion, dust and sweat makes for an interesting body coating at the end of the day.

This area of Ontario reminds me of the Fort St. John area. A lot of the communities are French speaking and we got to practice our lack of communications skills.

We spent that night in Rene Brunelle Provincial Park outside of Kapuskasing where once again the mosquitoes held us captive in the trailer.

No comments: