Monday, July 16, 2007

Cross Canada on a Wing(TM) and a Prayer

First day we made it 620 km. Not a real long day, but we didn’t get off to as early a start as we anticipated. We decided we’d stop in at PGRH and get our trip to the hospital out of the way. The real story is that Barbee stopped in to see her uncle before we left. But I couldn’t help but think “Okay now, we’ve been to the hospital so we shouldn’t have to do that again this trip.”

Our first stop was at the top of the hill in front of Ritchie Brothers. We’d lost J & B and we weren’t even out of the city limits yet. After waiting five minutes we realized they must be ahead of us and took the challenge of playing catch up after giving them such a head start.

We pulled into McBride for fuel and Jimmy pulled in not long after us, as did the 12 to 15 Hell’s Angels that were following them. Jimmy just looped the gas station and kept on going to the one across the street as we sat at the pump now surrounded by the Hell’s Angels and a Budget cube van they had along with them. I assume it was the vehicle that toted their drugs and/or dead bodies in, but wasn’t brave enough to ask them. I really really wanted to take a picture of them all around us, but envisioned having my camera confiscated at gunpoint or some dramatic thing I wasn’t willing to chance. Sitting on the bike at the pumps viewing the majesty of God in the Rocky Mountains around us I couldn’t help but think that that is typical of life. You can be surrounded by Hell’s Angels but God will always dwarf them with his power and majesty.

We stopped at the Jasper park gate and wowed the girl with the fact that we were headed to Newfoundland. Three vehicles later she was shocked and amazed that J & B were also headed to Newfoundland, until they told her we were together. Jim paid the $17 to stay overnight in the park and convinced us we needed to pay on the other side of Jasper. We didn’t stay in the park. I suppose we’ve wasted $35 on worse things.

We stayed at Fish Lake, halfway between Saskatchewan River Crossing and Rocky Mountain House. The mosquitoes were pretty bad for those who don’t take vitamin B, but not unbearable. I convinced Barbee to get on my little Vit B kick.

It was about midnight when we flopped into our little bed in the back of the truck. I sat on the edge of the bed struggling to get my jeans off cuz I couldn’t stand up and there’s not a lot of room. I finally wiggled my way out of them and went to fold them up and realized I had actually pulled them off without even undoing them! I wasn’t even drinking! What up with that?

As we flopped our heads on our pillows, my final thought on our first day on the road was “Lard Tunderin’ Geezus, we’re headed to Newfoundland!”






Headin' out


Okay, the trip to hospital is out of the way







No comments: