Tuesday, July 3, 2007

In the heat of it all......

In the midst of rain storms and clouds, and even "hot days" where the temperature reaches a balmy 20 degrees, I am starting to pack and pull my stuff together for the trip. I have long johns, leather pants, rain suit, fleece face scarf, leather gloves, undershirts, etc. Everyone keeps warning me to use my imagination and try to prepare for the Ontario heat in July. I'm havin' a hard time with that.

One of my customers told me about these fantastic 'cool neck ties' that she sells for only 10 bucks each. "You'll need 2 each," she says. "One to keep in the cooler or fridge while you wear the other." I think, "$40 ain't so bad. I'da paid triple that last summer in the Okanagan when it was 45 degrees." I saw them a few days later in SpeeDee Printers for $12.95 so I guess $10 is a good deal. However they are little scraps of cotton fabric, with 6 expanding crystals sewn inside. And I just happen to have about 8 packages of expanding crystals left over from Brandi's wedding.

While trying to think of things to do to avoid doing laundry this afternoon I decided I'd find a pattern on the internet and attempt to make some. Ha! For $7.24 I got 2 spools of thread and enough fabric for 13 neck ties.

I finished the first one in no time and threw it into a bowl of water to hydrate. 15 minutes later it was ready to wear. But... what was I thinking? I soaked it in warm water. I now had a cooling neck tie that was warm, so I threw it in the freezer for 10 minutes before tying it on my neck. About a minute after tying it on my neck I was suffering from "brain freeze" of the spinal cord. I guess the trick would be to soak it in the correct temperature water in the first place.

I followed the 'pattern' exactly. Every pattern I found said to use 45" fabric strips, or 60 if you wanted to tie a bow- yeah right. A bow? I don't think so. I find even the 45 inches a bit long and made such a comment to Alb. His reply? "Well, I hope you don't think you are making a fashion statement." And here I thought he'd be all excited to pick out his favourite colours to wear. Hmmpft! Just wait'll it's 40 degrees. He'll beg me for one. And I... I shall 13 different ones for him to choose from.

No comments: