Thursday, July 12, 2007

Even Moses freaked out over a Burning Bush.

I think I need to face the fact that I am just not meant to have lush plants surround me. I decided not to plant flowers in the front corner flower bed this year, knowing we would be gone and the underground sprinklers don't reach that little out-of-the-way spot. One less thing for the housesitter to worry about.

Because my gardening skills are limited and my ambition even more so, I have not watered this garden at all this year. God has done a pretty good job of that even though it is mostly under the overhang of the house. To be honest, it's growing so well there really isn't any room in the bed for flowers this year. There are a couple of perennials the neighbour pawned off on me last year that have been flowering since before the snow left and the 2 Burning Bush shrubs that were about 6 inches high when I put them in two years ago are now about 30 inches and full and lush and beautiful. They should be bright red in full "burn mode" when we return the first of September. I think the fact that the roots have had to burrow 4 feet in search of water has made them flourish.

I went to give the flower bed a final weeding before we leave. I stopped dead in my tracks as I approached. I don't think I'd have been any more shocked if the burning bush started talking to me. There about 2 feet away, under the stairs, was 3/4 of the bush detached and withering in the hot sun. "You little bugger..." I muttered out loud. Okay, it's possible "bugger" isn't the word I used.

Withering in the sun.

They look like they've been chewed off.

Flat top Burning Bush

Jed's explanation? It was getting so big it wasn't going to be long before it blocked the stairs.

Trust me, it was a long way from blocking the stairs. But even if it did, would that be so bad? Maybe then people would quit coming up the front stairs and standing on the not-so-safe deck that needs re-floored.
The next day he decided to take out the back lawn with a little ATV riding.
He even took pictures as evidence against himself.


No comments: