Saturday, July 21, 2007

Highly Rank ... doesn't mean ranking high.






Friday’s ride from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay seemed extraordinarily long for some reason. It was a nine hour day. The temperature was in the low to mid 20’s and the wind on my previously sunburned skin was a little chilly.

I cannot adequately describe how comfortable the bike seat is. We have not experienced sore backs at all. A little bit of numb-butt by the end of the day, but nothing bad. God bless Mr Corbin for his great seat design.

We camped at the KOA just out of Thunder Bay.

I got up earlier than the rest of them on Saturday so I could do a load of laundry; our clothes closet in the bathroom was getting pretty rank smelling. Actually I noticed the smell the first day but attributed it to the new wood the closet was made of. The smell could best be described as being like the smell of a wet load of towels that gets left in the washing machine for a few days. (Okay, I am probably the only one who has lots of experience with this.)

Barbee politely lit a candle in the bathroom each time we stopped and didn’t mention the smell at all. As the days went by and we added dirty socks and underwear to the bag of laundry in the closet the smell worsened. Even our clean clothes were beginning to take on the offensive odor so I had no option but to wash clothes.
I returned from the laundry building at the KOA with my pile of fresh clean clothes; the others told me to go check out the fresh smelling closet. Sure enough it smelled pretty normal. While I was a little shocked and embarrassed that our laundry had been that bad, there was no denying it was better now.

Well, it turns out that there is a little cubby under the closet that is accessible from the outside. For reasons only God knows, Jimmy had decided to bring along his rotting old running shoes. And yes he stored them in the cubby under our closet.

Currently there is a rotting pair of shoes somewhere in a landfill near Thunder Bay, and our clothes smell fresh and clean.

No comments: