Friday, June 1, 2007

Bug Off!




Have you ever been hit in the face with a bumblebee at 120 km per hour? It makes a bee sting feel like a massage by comparison. This is why I wear a full face helmet rather than a cool looking skull cap.While this keeps me protected from bugs on the road, it does nothing for me at the campsite to protect me from blood sucking vermin that want to infect me with West Nile. My favourite easy, non-smelly, inexpensive remedy for mosquitoes is to take 100 mg of vitamin B starting 2 or 3 days before I head out to the wilderness (or my backyard at my old house)

I know you can do an internet search and even snopes.com will tell you there is no proven evidence that this works, but there are just as many tried-and-true users will swear by it. As you know, I am one of those who loves to swear.

One thing is for sure, it's a vitamin so it can't hurt to try. Unlike a DEET product which ate a hole in the leather seat of my car which had a drop on it for less than 3 minutes before I washed it with soap. It literally turned the leather to mush. And leather is just skin. The only side effect I have found with vitamin B is that you pee fluorescent yellow, but as long as you don't leave a dribble running down your leg no-one else needs to know.

3 comments:

carmenrose said...

Thank you SO much for posting this before the family reunion held out in bug capital bc, i'm willing to try anything...off to the store i go...

mari said...

you can get kids bug dope without deet in it. that's what we'll be using... and afterbite.

Liana said...

I don't wanna have to use AFTER bite ... that's the whole point!! :D