Wednesday, June 13, 2007

5 years of partying - disguised as organizational meetings...


We finally made it out fishing with Ron & Linda after 5 summers of trying to get it organized. But as Ron says, the organizational party-meetings are as much fun as the trip itself, so it's almost a let down to have the trip materialize.

Alb and I went directly from the family reunion at Ness Lake to the campsite at Pitka Bay. We hauled J & B's fabulous trailer and they came out the next day. We slept in the Redneck Camperette, but used J & B's trailer as storage to protect the food from the multitude of crows and foxes.

About 1AM, everyone toddled off to bed saying, " See ya about 7. Have a good sleep."

When I woke up in the morning, the dog was panting at the camper door to get out and she had her back legs tied in a knot so as not to pee on the floor of our fantastic sleeping quarters. We have not got a clock in the camper and we no longer own watches, so on my way to the outhouse I crawled into the front of the truck to turn on the cellphone to check the time. (I hate it in the summer when I wake up with the sun, lay there dozing in and out for a couple of hours, get out of bed and then realize its still only 6 AM) On this morning, I felt particularly well rested, so as soon as I woke up, I got up. (Ok, my overwhelming need to pee helped.)

I looked at the phone and then turned it upside down because the digital numbers just weren't making sense. For some reason they said 11 AM.

As I walked past the campfire with all the other members of our group standing around, I asked what time it was. Yes, it was 11 o'clock. Yes, they had all been up for 3 and a half hours. And yes, all the food and coffee was locked in the trailer. And yes, the keys were in Alb's pocket.

Ooops! Sorry guys. But I sure had the best sleep I have had in years.

... and boy did everyone appreciate their first cup of coffee that morning.

No comments: