Monday, June 25, 2007

Who's idea was it anyways?

That's the real question. Who made up the rule that North American women should be relatively hairless? Personally I'd like to dip him (and I'm sure it's a him) in a bucket of hot wax and teach him a lesson.

Aging really sucks, and I keep saying I refuse to participate, but somehow it keeps creeping into my life. I was sitting here the other day pondering life and wondering if I had time for an afternoon nap and I put my hand to my face and - oh my gosh! I had a 3/4 inch hair growing on my top lip. What's up with that? I raced to the bathroom mirror and holy cow, it was true. Upon closer inspection I noticed along my jawline a covering of fuzz that would give any peach a run for it's money. How long has that been there? and why haven't I noticed.

Wouldn't it be great if fashion dictated that 40 year old women should be like 14 year old boys - sitting in front of a mirror longing for the day a facial hair sprouts.

Being the fashion diva that I am, I knew I could not just sit back and idly let nature take it's course. I grabbed the tube of Veet from under the bathroom sink and dabbed a bit on my upper lip. But once I started there was no stopping and before I knew it my face was lathered up and I was looking like Santa Claus.
Even as I was doing it, I thought I'd better take a picture of this
cuz I'm sure it's gonna turn out blog-worthy.
Occasionally I wonder how normal people behave.



Three minutes later I washed my face and off went all the hair. I thought, "That was easy. There is no reason in the world for any woman to have a moustache." Three minutes after that, the burning started and the red blotches developed. And for the next 12 hours every time I smiled it felt like my face was cracking.

I kept checking the mirror, and thank God the redness began to subside and I didn't develop any long lasting rashes or sores. But each time I looked in the mirror I couldn't help but imagine what I will look like with a moustache and facial hair. Perhaps I would suit a goatee. I could even let it grow until it fits a braid.

No comments: