Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hair today, gone tomorrow.

I really try not to complain, because I know people with very little hair, and others whose hair grows about 1 and a half inches in a fast year, but my hair is so thick and grows so fast. As a general rule, I only wash it about 3 times a week because it takes so long to rinse and dry. Sometimes, on real boring days, I will sit in front of a mirror and watch it grow.

Looking ahead to our trip, I anticipate having to wash it daily to remove all the road grime and tangles that come with biking at 120km/hour in traffic. I also could envision draining the water tank and filling the septic each day trying to wash my tresses. Since I'm not willing to learn to use a sani-dump, I have opted instead to lop off my hair. (Besides, I wasn't managing to lose weight any other way.)

Fortunately for me, Kerri flew in from Texas for the family reunion and was happy to fit me into her schedule. I'm also thankful that I was the first haircut she did as about 37 other family members lined up behind me... and Kerri thought she was coming on a vacation.

As she is cutting my hair Kerri is telling me I'll need to get some product to add definition and structure to my new do. She spewed out words like pomade, fudge, mudd, modeling gel...

"Oh yeah," I say. "I think I have something in my bathroom." She took one look at the inch of dried out DEP gel that Jed left behind a year ago and said as politely as possible, "You'd be better off with nothing."

At that point I didn't have the heart to show her my fantastic shampoo find: a bar of solid shampoo/conditioner 2-in-1 from Lush that smells like licorice. I'll just keep that as my little secret.

Going.


Going.


Gone!

No comments: