Wednesday, May 16, 2007

When was the last time YOU did something for the first time?

Invariably, about once or twice a year I attend a woman's function and they have an ice breaker and one of the questions is "When was the last time you did something for the first time?" Not to appear lame and answering something like "I put my bedding plants out before the long weekend." or "I paid regular price for a pair of pants." I have to think waaay back to my teenage days and come up with some exciting dirt that someone just getting to know me would want to know, like shoplifting, having sex or dying my hair. My life is just so 'same old same old'. Well as of today, I have a new answer. "On May 16, 2007 I had my eyebrows waxed." Yeah. I know. I'm living dangerously!

The woman leads me into a luxurious spa room and has me lay down on a beautifully draped bed, which was actually a doctor's pap-exam bed disguised with a fluffy blanket. That should have been my first clue. She then proceeds to pour boiling wax on my forehead and then without warning, rips out those pesky hairs which apparently have roots that originate somewhere at the back of my head. And being that this is my virgin wax experience, I have numerous stray little devils that need to be individually plucked from my being. The procedure takes about 5 minutes and the lovely lady hands me a mirror for examination. Like there's any chance I'm gonna say "Please take more off." I cannot even see through my watering eyes, but nod my head emphatically and say "This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you. Goodbye."


From this to this??




I go to the front to pay the young girl at the desk my twenty bucks for torture services. "Did you want to book your next appointment?" she innocently asks. Uhh, yeah. My eyes are watering, my eyebrows are glowing red where she has peeled off 3 weeks worth of tanning, and my forehead feels like it's been dipped in acid. You mean to tell me this wasn't a permanent procedure??? Listen here pretty-face girl with fake boobs, this is not the most ideal time to be asking if I want to book a repeat visit.

5 comments:

mari said...

next time for threading. It hurts a bit too but the sensation is totally different and it's usually an old east indian lady instead of a twenty year old white girl with plastic boobs.

mari said...

But if you do brave the waxing again, do you go to Miss. Lorea's (the esthetics school on 3rd) it's way cheaper than places who know what they're doing.. lol -
j/k the've never messed up on anyone I know...

Liana said...

Well, the truth be known, it was only $12.95 (but then you have to add tax and a tip and all that) And it was not particularly painful. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. But that would make for rather boring blogging now wouldn't it. It did, however, surprise me when she asked me to book my next appoinment.

GraceeJ said...

try a brazilian....OUCH!!!

mari said...

lol - everytime I blog and then Patrick reads it i have to say "well.. it's just a little embelleshed.." he he. Still - try threading. It's neat!