Monday, May 14, 2007

No Raw Eggs and Burnt Toast

This was my first Mother's Day as an empty-nester. I did not get subjected to raw eggs and burnt toast for the first time in years. I did not even get coffee in bed. But come to think of it, one would have to be in bed in order to receive coffee in bed.

Why was I not in bed you ask. That is a good question and I thank you for asking....


This week has been the Royal Bank Cup hockey tournament and Jed has had a week long pass and has been attending 2 games a day all week. I didn't like the thought of him leaving his new bike chained up at the CN Centre for hours when passersby know that everyone is inside for at least 3 hours, so we have been driving him to the games and picking him up after. This posed a bit of a problem when games went into overtime, but we would just listen to radio to see when it ended.

We were listening to one such overtime game on Saturday night. We kept listening and listening and listening... the silly game went into FIVE overtime periods! About 11:30 Jed's home worker phoned all concerned that he wasn't home yet. I informed her about the ongoing overtime and told her we would just keep him here at our house overnight, so she could hunker down the home for the night.

Between moments of sleeping and wakefulness while sitting in a chair I managed to hear the Spruce Kings score in the 5th overtime at 1:15
AM, and Alb whips over to pick up Jed. When the parking lot became empty and the last exhausted fan left the building it became evident that Jed was not among them.

I know the police don't look for adults for 24 hours, but he's not really an adult. I decided I would hold off calling them until 7am.

Long story short, Alb became very familiar with every road and back alley in this town over the next few hours and I had played out all sorts of elaborate scenes in my head while staring at the phone waiting for it to ring.

I knew Jed had no coat with him and no money. He did have his wallet with ID, so they should have no problem identifying the body.

In the wee hours I decided I'd call his home just to see if he had materialized. Lo-and-behold if he's not sleeping peacefully in his bed oblivious to the fact that anything is out of the ordinary.
About midnight he had decided he'd had enough hockey. This was probably right about the time he discovered that there was a free shuttle service that would drive him wherever he wanted.

His reason for not phoning? "He didn't want to wake us" and thought he'd "save us the hassle." He said it like we had been sleeping or unhassled or something.

But I gotta tell ya, I had a beautiful funeral service planned and I'm thinking I may just follow through with it!

Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day.

1 comment:

carmenrose said...

oh my gosh, have you written that book yet? it may turn into a series, the stories never seem to end with that boy!